Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $23 billion and approximately 70,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
This manager will be responsible for defining, agreeing and embedding a Commodity Strategy for Beam technology products and Ultra high precision machining modules within MSD that supports R&D, Operations and Service. Within the field of the commodity the Commodity Manager leads a team of Sourcing Account managers to drive the sourcing strategy and objectives, manage key supplier relations focused on Quality, Logistics, Product roadmap (Technology) and Total Cost and support R&D projects by timely and effectively engaging and managing the supply base. The Commodity Manager is member of the Sourcing Management team that will define the long term Global Sourcing Strategy and assures an effective and efficient Sourcing function that is well connected to the business processes, not only within MSD, but also with Corporate Sourcing.
This position is ideal for a person that has a proven track record of being able to work in complex and fast changing environments. The successful candidate should be familiar with High Tech industries of high-mix low-volume characteristics with long lifecycles and perform Product Innovation based on co-makership. He/she should have a background in Supply Chain, Engineering, Operations within high-tech industries.
The Commodity Manager main responsibilities are:
• Have an up to date Commodity Strategy and execution plan, well aligned and communicated to all stakeholders in R&D, Operations, Service and Business units.
• Supplier relationship management within commodity.
• Manage continuous supplier improvement in his/her commodity through supplier improvement plans and – if necessary – resourcing projects.
• Manage a global team with team members in multiple locations in the USA, Czech Republic and the Netherlands.
• Supporting divisional operations footprint projects by defining and executing outsourcing/ supply base transfer projects.
• Actively ensures that the team operates in a global manner and according agreed way-of-working/procedures
• Ensures contract coverage, risk management and compliance activities for the supply base.
• Drives cost management activities for the Commodity: meet negotiation targets, drive value engineering ideation and support value engineering project execution.
• Ensures that NPI projects are staffed and sourcing execution is managed and monitored.
• Owns supplier scouting initiatives and supply market knowledge for the Commodity.
• Contributes to the definition and implementation of the Global Sourcing Strategy and assured Sourcing Targets are met.
• Develops and maintains network of stakeholders within Thermo Fisher in order to connect Sourcing to other business functions.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
• Typically requires 7+ years of experience in a Sourcing related function of which 5+ years in a leadership/people management role.
• (Technical) University degree is required (other advanced degree is preferred) or a combination of education and experience that demonstrates the required skills.
• Advanced knowledge in a technical, scientific or specialized field build on an understanding of theoretical concepts and principals and their context.
• Good skills in persuading, inspiring developing and motivating are required in order to interact with other people both internally as well as externally.
• Focus on results and develops and manages long(er) terms relationships to consistently achieve results. Ability to determine how to achieve objectives based on defined strategies and policies and subject to managerial review. Establishes and recommends changes to policies that improves the organization.
• Experienced in international environment, able to deal with cultural differences.
• Open minded, looking for improvement and driving change through the stakeholder teams.
• Problem solving and analysis
• Continuous quality and performance improvement
• Technical and functional expertise
• Gets results, creates opportunities
• Develops capabilities
Leadership and management
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Open communication
• Able to manage a team across multiple cultures and people remotely